There are many toxins in our homes that most of us are not even aware of. However, they can cause damage to our body’s long-term, and everyone should get rid of as many of them as they can.
Use Chemical Free Natural Cleaning Products
It does not matter if you are doing the laundry, cleaning the windows, or polishing your furniture, all of the products you are using have chemicals in them. The laundry powder, for instance, will be on your clothes and your bed sheets so your body will be absorbing them through your skin 24 hours a day.
You can buy natural, chemical-free cleaning products. Also, there are things that are really good cleaning aids that you probably have in your pantry. Vinegar, lemon juice and baking soda are great solutions for cleaning your home inexpensively.
Buy Non-Toxic Paints
For many years, paints were lead-based and in fact, if your home was built before 1978 there is a good chance it has lead pipes for the plumbing. Now, this is not allowed, as it was realized how dangerous lead is, particularly for young children and the elderly. If your pipes have not been changed for some years you should get them checked and have any lead ones removed.
If you are decorating only buy non-toxic paints, which are available in most DIY stores. Most interior painters will have no problem using them, In fact, they too might prefer not having to be around toxic chemicals for a prolonged period.
Check Your Personal Care Products
If you look at the packaging of your shampoos, soaps and moisturizers you may be surprised just how many chemicals they contain. Scientific studies have shown that using them over a number of years can cause cancers, heart problems, obesity and general ill health.
Replace them all with natural personal care products and you will soon be wondering why you did not do this years ago, They generally are nicer to use and the fragrances are usually very pleasant too. This includes products such as natural toothpaste, which still comes in all the favourite flavors but without the nasty chemicals.
Don’t Use Non-Stick Pots And Pans
Studies have shown that non-stick cookware gives off poisonous particles when it is heated, which may not be safe, so beware and do not use it. There are lots of other options on the market, but it is said that good old-fashioned iron cookware is the best.
Your kitchen is often the focal point of homes and is where you can start creating a non-toxic environment for you and your family.
Once you have removed all the chemical from your home you do not want to undo all the good you have done by eating processed foods that have lots of chemicals in them. Eat organic fruit and veg whenever possible, and before you eat anything ready prepared, read the packaging very carefully. Additives and preservatives may give the product a longer shelf life, but they will not do your digestive system any good at all.
One Last Tip
There is one last tip that every eco-friendly home should consider implementing. Shoes should be left outside. Of course, you might need somewhere for them to be protected from the weather, but a pair of shoes can bring all sorts of nasty things into your home. Just walking along the street you can pick up oils, chemicals, pesticides, bacteria and much more
It is thought that if everyone got rid of the toxins from their homes, we would all be much healthier and the instances of many serious illnesses would diminish.