I don’t think anything can prepare you for marriage. Yes, you receive advice from married couples in your life and you go through marriage counseling for several months, but nothing really prepares you to join with and become one with a person for what you think will be the rest of your life.
As I reflect on my marriage to my late husband, I have regrets. I was naïve about many things. I wish I didn’t take some things so seriously, and I wish I would have made the most of the time we had together. Of course, no one expects for a spouse to die after only a few years of marriage. Hindsight is 20/20 right? After going through loss and so much pain and sorrow, there are some things I know I will do and won’t do if I have the opportunity to get married again. As a result, I compiled this list of 25 things I wish I knew before I got married. They’re not listed in order of importance so don’t get your panties in a bunch when you see God towards the end.
1. Tomorrow is not promised.
2. Make every moment count.
3. It doesn’t matter if the trash gets taken out today.
4. My way is not the right or only way.
5. Never go to bed angry.
6. Keep the families outside of marital business.
7. Create a united front against the children. Respect each other’s discipline techniques.
8. Life is not a competition. There’s no reward for reaching the grave first.
9. Two are better than one.
10. Use your words to build up and never tear down.
11. Close your mouth! Nagging will not get you the results you want.
12. Marriage is not a power struggle. You’re on the same team.
13. Laughter really is great medicine.
14. Say I’m sorry and ask for forgiveness first.
15. Always tell the truth no matter how painful.
16. Address issues head on. Don’t let them fester.
17. It’s OK if the house is a mess (for a little while). You’re not Martha Stewart.
18. Never put work before the family.
19. Submission is not a sign of weakness.
20. Always keep God at the helm.
21. Just because your parents did it that way doesn’t mean it’s the right way.
22. Every marriage is different. What works in your house may not work in mine.
23. Sex is important in marriage.
24. Never take your family for granted.
25. Tell each other “I love you” every day. You may not get another chance.
Please share what you wish you knew before you got married in the comments section! It may help someone else!